In honor of tomorrow being National Dog Day, it only makes sense that I introduce you to our baby; aka our pup. Meet Ziggy! (yes, I know Ziggy is a man’s name, but we don’t care; it fits her perfectly!)
Fran and I adopted her when she was two months old. Ziggy and her sister were found on the side of the road in a cardboard box. Luckily, they were found by an incredible woman who brought them home and nursed them back to health. Fran found her Facebook post later that week and right away we knew Ziggy was the one.
She is the sweetest, craziest, most energetic and loyal puppy in the world. We’re beyond grateful that she came into our lives. Even though we’ve lost some clothing, shoes and other things along the way, we wouldn’t change a thing! For all of you who have a four-legged bestie, you know that they’re more than a pet; they’re a part of the family.
So, being that tomorrow is national dog day, why not treat your pup to some homemade treats! Show them how much you love them. I’ve shared my recipe below.
*IMPORTANT NOTE: Dogs can be allergic to things just like humans, so consult your vet before changing/adding to their diet. Aside from individual allergies, all the ingredients listed below have been confirmed as safe for dogs to consume. When cooking for your pets, I like to stick to vet-approved ingredients: sweet potato, coconut oil/coconut, eggs, coconut flour.
Homemade Dog Treats:
- 2 medium size sweet potatoes (cooked and cooled)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil at room temp – (this is a great way to add coconut oil into their diets; many of the health benefits that apply to humans, apply to pets as well. For more information about the health benefits, check out this great article from DNM )
- 1 egg
- 1-2 tablespoons of water as needed for texture
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C
- Combine all ingredients and mix until blended
- Form into 1-inch balls and flatten
- You can make into whatever shape you want! You can create “paw print” shapes with your fingers or you could use a dog bone shaped cookie cutter (all are totally optional!)
- Lay shapes onto parchment-lined baking sheet
- Bake for 20 minutes until slightly browned on the edges
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before removing.
Once cooled, let your pup enjoy!
Have a great weekend everyone! xx
Follow my blog with Bloglovin